Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homophobe Pt. 2


Homophobe
By YouarenotMe



Summary: Mike is a driven young man, hard working, and eager to please his father. But Mike Newton has a secret…perhaps he has a few. In a small town like Forks, Mike feels alone and desperately wants a break in his routine.
Rated: M
Couple(s): Mike/Eric, Mike/Edward, Jasper/Mike, Jasper/Mike/Edward



Read it on fanfiction.net and remember to give YouarenotMe some love!

 Read Starry's previous review on Homophobe here.


I know I've already reviewed this story, but I felt like I needed closure and in order to do so, I needed to share my thoughts on the last few chapters of this wonderful story. Homophobe is, looking back on it, unlike anything I've ever read before. And I'm not just talking about the couples, but the packaged deal.

This story gave me everything I needed and some things that I hadn't even realized I had wanted and now I'm left sad to see it end, but happy that I was lucky enough to go along for the ride. It's a story that I think every slash fan should read, even if they don't like Mike Newton or Mike/Edward.

Coming into this story, I expected a hot piece of Mike/Edward and, well, I got that, but I got so much more as well. I loved the dynamic presented between Mike, Edward, and Jasper and was very happy (even as I pouted) that Mike didn't end up with Edward. Edward and Jasper were the stepping stones to Mike's happily ever after and I loved how YouarenotMe captured that.

I think my favorite thing about the story was the conflict—the real life problems and insecurities of,  not just a gay teenager, but any teenager striving for acceptance from their peers and parents alike. I'm honored to have viewed Mike's personal struggles and then, finally, the absolution he felt in finding himself and realizing that he could be happy if he thrived to be the person he wanted to be.

Homophobe is probably one of the favorite stories of the year and I'm proud to add it to my favorites list on fanfiction.net!

No comments:

Post a Comment