Monday, August 15, 2011

If The Walls Were Too Thin


If The Walls Were Too Thin
By downjune


Summary: "I'm seeing another life," he said, "when I go to sleep."
Couple: Harry Potter x Cedric Diggory
Rating: R

 Read on livejournal.com and remember to give downjune some love!

Harry and Cedric are probably my favorite couple in the Harry Potter fandom and, as such, it's incredibly difficult to find good fanfiction for the pairing. I came across If The Walls Were Too Thin by downjune on the livejournal community, twoseekers (which is a Harry Potter community dedicated solely to Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory), and I immediately bookmarked the story for later reading.

I finally got the time to read it today (while cooking dinner because I'm multi-talented like that) and literally got caught in fangirl mode for awhile. I still internally squeeing over how amazing this story is and, honestly, I don't know if I'll stop any time soon.

If The Walls Were Too Thin opens up in an AU/canon verse where Cedric didn't survive the last task of the Triwizarding Tournament, but not everything happened like it did in the canon verse. Harry's twenty-one and has a job at the Ministry (I want to say he's an Auror or Auror in Training, but I can't be sure—actually, the job at the Ministry is just an assumption, don't take my word on it), he's also having these strange dreams.

No, no, not the strange dreams from the canon either. They're strange dreams about Cedric, more specifically the life Harry would've shared with Cedric had he survived that night. The more Harry has these dreams, the more he wants them to be real and the more they start appearing to be real—especially after Cedric realizes that dream!Harry isn't his Harry.

The buildup was nice and well paced throughout, seamlessly switching back and forth between Harry's realities until he finally wakes up where he's meant to be. The writing was wonderful, even with the few typos scattered throughout the story (these typos, though, are easily ignored) and it's even ended with a promise of a companion piece written in Cedric's POV. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for that.

    - Recc-er Starry Out! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment